Get outdoors this Family Day weekend with some real winter fun!
If you’re looking for a way to celebrate Family Day (beyond binge-watching Disney+), we’ve got some suggestions for you. Gather your family and embrace winter!
Please view this post as inspiration for a visit in the future. For now, Stay Home. Stay Safe. Save Lives. #StayHomeON
1. Take your little ones out for some of the best birding experiences you could have. Dress for warmth when you head over to Wolfe Island this Family Day for a morning of bird watching. During the winter, you’re likely to spot hawks, harriers and snowy owls on your journey.
2. If you have an adventurous clan, have some fun snowmobiling. Known for being the hub of snowmobiling, you can access over 200 kilometres of trails that run from the Lennox & Addington County all the way to Amherstview.
Take an ATV tour over 37 kilometres of trails that bring you through to the Frontenac Arch Biosphere Reserve. The tour will show you incredible views of the diverse landscape as well as creating incredible memories.
3. Go ice fishing. Ontario has designated February 13th to 15th as ‘Family Fishing Days!’ This means you can reel in some big fish without a license for those days only. This is the perfect chance to teach your kids a new skill.
4. Bundle-up and hit the trails! The trails are ready to be explored year-round with a variety of ecosystems and landscapes to be discovered. Snowshoeing is an inclusive activity for all ages and skill levels and one of the easiest ways to bring the entire family together! If you have equipment and all you need are trails, a few of the popular treks include Murphy’s Point Provincial Park, Little Cataraqui Creek Conservation Area, Guindon Park, Summerstown Trails, and Quinte Conservation/Lower Trent Conservation. With trails as short as 4 kilometres and as long as 20, you can choose how long you’d like to be out in the winter tundra.
5. Glide around in the great outdoors. Create the perfect family adventure that will be the talk of Sunday dinners for decades! Experience the magic of Winter with Countryside Adventures. skate through the forest hand-in-hand with those you love the most! Make a day of it and skate through the 3 kilometre stretch of trail.
READ ALSO: Your Guide To Winter Activities In South Eastern Ontario
7. Love Kingston. From now until March 2021, Kingston’s historic market square will be shining brightly as part of ‘Love Kingston’, a celebration for the community! Leave the car behind and take your family out for an evening stroll through the city’s limestone streetscapes and waterfront pathway. There’s also skating at the outdoor rink and spots to stay cozy by the fire.
8. Stay in and try to get out. Book an online escape room! If you and your family have a thing for mystery, puzzles and creative-thinking, then these suggestions are for you. Test your problem-solving skills, work together, and immerse yourself in the story, solvie puzzles and discover hidden secrets.
The Hot Chocolate Incident: Recently featured in the New York Times and a recipient of Room Escape Artist’s Golden Lock Award, this light-hearted seasonal game will be closing at the end of the winter season, so book soon before it’s gone!
Seven Dwarfs: Mining Mission: Another award-winning game, which follows the Seven Dwarfs’ journey to destroy the poisonous apple. It’s a great game for all ages!
Neverland: Heist on the High Seas: The notorious Captain Hook has captured your group and locked you in the brig, deep in the bowels of The Jolly Roger. This is the hardest level of difficulty among all of the online offerings.
The Cure For The Common Zombie: This family-friendly zombie game takes you through an ice cave, researcher’s lab, and more. If you’re looking for a game that isn’t easy but isn’t hard, this is the game for you!
A Spy’s Workshop: Alongside the interactive Zoom video experience, you’re provided with a Mission Dossier. The dossier is a website that will be updated during your game play with close-up images of items you find in the room.
Some of the best memories are made when you spend quality time with those you love. Share your Family Day adventures with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram by tagging your pictures with #SouthEasternOntario!