Forget Netflix and chill
Treat your favourite person to something special with this list of 12 safe and delightful date ideas to get you through the winter.
Please view this post as inspiration for a visit in the future. For now, Stay Home. Stay Safe. Save Lives. #StayHomeON
1.Take in the views. Sometimes you need the perfect setting to set the mood of a good date. We recommend taking your bae to the Foley Mountain Conservation Area for an especially romantic winter-themed date. There is no better chance to get to know one another on a deeper level than a quiet, private walk through a beautiful forest.
In the Bay Of Quinte, head over to Sager Conservation Area and take a quick 5-minute walk up a large hill to meet a 30-foot tall tower. With a 360 degree view of the Bay, you can play some iSpy, or have a special moment with a certain someone while you overlook the country landscape.
2. Lace up your skates. Experience the magic of Winter with Countryside Adventure. Skate through the forest hand-in-hand with those you love the most. Make a day of it and glide through the 3 kilometre stretch of trail.Or take wobbly laps while holding on to each other for dear life. Warm up afterwards at their warm bonfire.
Located in the heart of downtown Kingston, you can glide hand-in-hand with your darling date around the large oval rink at Springer Market Square.
3. Take a stroll on an ionic beach, amongst glowing lights, or along snowy trails. Walk along the shoreline and feel as though you have travelled to another planet at Sandbanks Provincial Park. The bright winter sunshine reflecting off the freezing waters will warm your heart and ease your mind from daily troubles.
From December 2020 to March 2021, Kingston’s downtown core and historic market square will be wrapped in lights as part of Love Kingston. Take a peaceful stroll through the area with your favourite person.
We couldn’t help but add a winter hike through some of the regions most beautiful trails! Saunter arm-in-arm through the Brock Trail, bring your camera to the Mac Johnson Wildlife Area, or spend an afternoon galavanting along the 1000 Islands Parkway and get to know your new special friend while being surrounded by stunning wetland, fields, forests and of course, the St. Lawrence River
4. Find a new winter sport. Snowshoeing, sledding, or cross country skiing will get your pulse racing. Show your adventurous side by taking your special friend over to one of Rideau’s stunning trails for some cross country skiing. New in North Grenville is a sledding hill at Ferguson Forest Centre. If you’re looking to go cross country skiing, hit up Murphy’s Point Provincial Park or Little Cataraqui Creek Conservation Area for some shorter trails. Go big and head over to The Cataraqui Trail which has over 200 kilometers of groomed trails ready to be explored!
5. View The 1000 Islands from up above.. virtually. Soar above the waterways and castles with 1000 Islands Helicopter Tours. The 360/virtual reality videos are free to watch anytime on YouTube: https://youtu.be/zOLsjlvPxms and https://youtu.be/VUSHimKUhwY. Afterwards, surprise your significant other with a gift certificate for a private helicopter tour after lockdown.
6. Have a game night. Did you know that some low-stakes competition between couples is shown to promote bonding? Turn off your phones and plan an old school game night! Browse through a library of board games and puzzles and enjoy some friendly competition. Or immerse yourself in a virtual escape room from Improbable Escapes, Sherlock’s Escapes, Escape Camp Picton, or National Airforce Museum.
7. Go to a live concert – sort of. If prior to the pandemic, your ideal date night meant listening to live music, seek out a virtual concert instead. The Regent Theatre is streaming past Opera productions from the Met and Empire theatre is streaming jazz and classic albums.
8. Make takeout romantic. Sometimes the most romantic evening can just be elevating your take-out experience. Light some candles, put on a Spotify playlist, and enjoy some fabulous food. Celebrate the best food Kingston has to offer with Kingstonlicious. From now until March, choose from various three-course prix fixe take out dinners for only $45 per person. Menus will be switching up so you can enjoy bold flavours and the best products from the area!
READ ALSO: 1000 Islands Take Out Guide
Test out your knowledge and play ‘Name That Artifact’ on the Museum of Health website. Explore the history of health and health care with online exhibits.Take a 3D virtual tour of the Glanmore National Historic Site or Bellevue House. These tours allow you to move through each of the rooms with Glanmore giving you access beyond the rope barriers!
Immerse yourself in virtual art tours, exhibitions, or online experiences around visual and media art with Digital Agnes. There’s also online access to plenty of exhibits and resources at the Belleville Library. If you’re a couple of sport fanatics, read through the history of hockey and plan your post lockdown visit to the Original Hockey Hall of Fame.
10. Attend an at-home film festival. While you may not be able to go out on double dates to the movies, you can take part in a new virtual experience that lets you watch as a group! From the comfort of your home attend the Kingston Canadian Film Festival – the largest festival in the world dedicated exclusively to Canadian film. There’s also the Reelout Queer Film Festival featuring 56 independent and international short films. Explore screenings, Q+As, live music, stand-up comedy, and exhibitions.
Winter might be here and the pandemic might feel never-ending, but that doesn’t mean your date nights can’t be exciting!
READ ALSO: 18 Ways To Stay Social While You’re At Home