Put away the candy hearts and chocolate roses and make unique memories with your special someone this Valentine’s Day! Staying home is important right now, so we put our heart-shaped thinking caps on to come up with a one-of-a-kind local list of Valentine’s experiences that won’t soon be forgotten.
Whether you’re looking for outdoor adventure, indoor fun or unique virtual experiences, we’ve got you covered! South Eastern Ontario wants to be your Valentine… check yes, no or maybe.
PLEASE NOTE: If you live outside of South Eastern Ontario, please view this post as inspiration for a visit in the future. We are encouraging people not to travel from where they live. Stay Home. Stay Safe. Save Lives. #StayHomeON
2. Slide into love: Feel like a kid again by making memories laughing together! Throw caution to the wind and find a great spot close to home to go sledding. New in North Grenville in the Rideau region is a sledding hill at Ferguson Forest Centre. Enjoy winter at the Arboretum by sledding at the newly-designated hill. Macaulay Mountain Conservation Area in Picton also has an ideal tobogganing hill; as does the famed hill at Fort Henry in Kingston. Don’t forget about Laurier Hill in Brockville at Memorial Park or the big hill close to the entrance of Long Sault Parkway which is a popular one for snowboarding fans and tobogganing enthusiasts.
3. It’s hip to be square: Ignite that spark! Pack some hot chocolate, lace-up and skate under the stars on the lit outdoor rink at Springer Market Square in Kingston.
READ MORE: Explore Winter Fun in South Eastern Ontario
4. Find your inner love bird: Feed chickadees out of the palm of your hand at Little Cataraqui Creek Conservation Area near Kingston! Harness your inner Snow White and be amazed creating memories with your loved one, hiking or cross country skiing on the trails at the conservation area – then stop with palms outstretched with seed to find some feathered friends. Note that the rental office is closed, so bring your own gear.
5. Trail time: You and your special someone deserve some quiet time reconnecting with nature. Make Valentine’s Day memorable by forest bathing while snowshoeing or cross country skiing on local trails. Mac Johnson Wildlife Area near Brockville has everything from hiking trails, to cross country skiing and snowshoeing, to skating. Enjoy the beautiful snow-covered trees and peacefulness of the woods in winter.
6. Valentine’s Day is for the birds: Flock to the Upper Canada Migratory Bird Sanctuary near Morrisburg to hit the trails walking, skiing or snowshoeing. With more than eight kilometres of self-guided, groomed hiking trails and close to 150 different bird species to watch for, this place is heaven for birding enthusiasts.
Entertainment, Culture and Heritage
7. For the love of history: If your S/O is a history buff, spend the special day diving deep into Kingston’s virtual museums and historic sites. Sometimes referred to as Canada’s museum capital, Kingston has fascinating online collections, exhibits, and activities that explore everything from Kingston’s hockey greats to “out of the vault” nationally significant Canadian Art.
8. Forget Netflix and chill: Grab a delish local coffee and chill! Stroll the streets of Picton and dream of warmer days with coffee in hand. Prince Edward County is a mecca for wannabe baristas, with niche coffee shops in almost every community catering to every caffeine-fueled whim. Live simply with your Valentine and just sip, walk and talk the afternoon away.
9. Stay in and try to get out: This is the perfect double date idea! Escaping is the name of the game when booking one of the online virtual escape rooms from Improbable Escapes. Whether it’s a jungle adventure, outwitting Captain Hook, finding a cure to save humanity from zombies, or defeating an evil queen, Improbable Escapes will have you and for your fun-loving Valentine talking about this for weeks to come.
10. Love local date night: This kit is the bomb! Cornwall’s I love local Valentine’s Date Night Kit is being put together by numerous businesses and community partnerships as a fundraiser and features everything from flowers and food to beer and bath items, candles – and even a secret jewelry surprise.
11. Mystery at Macaulay House: A timeless gathering is taking place – and you’re invited. Get ready for a virtual event to enjoy with your history buff. Interact with costumed characters to solve a mystery set in grand Macaulay House in Prince Edward County.
12. Rejuvenate with your partner: Treat yourselves to an at-home spa day while supporting local in the Bay of Quinte. Bring some wellness experiences to your doorstep! Since your living room is already a classroom/office/playroom/gym why not add spa to the list and indulge in relaxation?
READ ALSO: 5 Stay-At-Home- Date Ideas In Bay Of Quinte
Sightseeing And Tours
13. Surreal skating: This is unlike anything you’ve ever done before! Impress your special someone on the skate trails at Countryside Adventures near The SDG Counties. Tour through the forest while exploring a 3 km skating trail and more. Don’t forget to reserve your spot ahead of time, as numbers are being limited. As night falls, the skate trail lights go on for night skating through the woods! Talk about romantic.
Food And Drink
14. Experience the taste of Spain without the trip! Although visiting places in person might be off the table right now (pun definitely intended…) order take out from one of the eclectic restaurants you’ve always wanted to try with your loved one. We’re eye this Valentine’s Day char-cute-rie for two from El Rebost de les Mil Illes.
To make it the perfect evening – string up some lights, lay out a blanket and enjoy a picnic in the middle of the living room featuring your take out.
15. Host a private bevvy tasting: South Eastern Ontario is known for its legendary craft breweries and award-winning wineries. Get fancied up, get out the good glasses, and pop the cork on some wines made right in your backyard. Sip on a cider, savour a spirit and beckon for a beer with breweries in the Bay of Quinte region and Prince Edward County. Start your virtual wine tour here to discover some great options for trying.
16. Create in the kitchen together: Nothing is as romantic as cooking together – while paying tribute to local! Turn up the local tunes and start the evening right by sourcing the perfect feast through Wendy’s Country Market to access produce from more than 70 local farming operations. From artisan cheese to bison, Wendy’s has fresh and ultra-local ingredients worthy of a golden apron – and kisses for the cook.
Even at home, there’s always something to do to appreciate your special someone in South Eastern Ontario. Be sure to share your Valentine’s Day stay-at-home celebrations with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram by tagging your pictures with #SouthEasternOntario!